Haflinger Flat-2, 643 cm3, petrol, 16/18/20 kW (22/24/27 PS), rear engine longitudinal, AWD switchable, single disk dry cluch, five speed, lowest as off-road gear fully synchronized;
limited slip differentials f/r, portal pendelulum axles, coil springs, shock absorbers, Drum brakes, length 2,85/3,15 m, width 1,35 m, 12', (500) 600 kg, ca. 70 km/h, 16.657, exported into 110 countries, 1959 - 1974
It appeared in 1959, making it the first car to be fully developed by Steyr-Daimler-Puch after the Second World War. It was designed by Hans Ledwinka. Named after its predecessors, the robust workhorses of the same
name, it is a four-wheel drive, light off-road vehicle that does them credit. The initiator for such vehicles is often the military, which is better off with small series, because it usually has
have very specific wishes.
Now there was no prototype at all for this vehicle. It also has the Puch two-cylinder in the rear. Through a central pipe, this engine drives two coil-sprung pendulum axles, of which the front one must of course be steerable.
Without a proper roof, this results in a sensational weight of just under 600 kg. Very rare that for a car the reasonably closed cabin can be found in the surcharge list.
Differentials at the front and rear that can be switched on while driving complement the almost extreme off-road capability. Climbing performance, ramp and slope angles, as well as the possible lean angle are unrivaled to
this day. These values then also require a special carburetor. With the low top speed, the transmission can be downgraded to walking speed. Quiet and fast it is not, but a workhorse appreciated all over the world.
The oldest company in the group is Steyr, started in 1830 with reference to Styria and the production of mainly rifles for recreational sports and the military, which was greatly reduced after the First World War.
Bicycles were already being built, but this was not enough. So, in 1920, the company started to manufacture vehicles. Bicycles were also the domain of Puch, founded in 1890, but under the name 'Styria'. A second
foundation then took place under the present name.
The engine comes from Puch, because they manufactured the Fiat 500 under license after the Second World War. For understandable reasons, they couldn't do anything with the two-cylinder four-stroke and design a new
two-cylinder boxer engine with 650 cm3. In contrast to the Fiat 500, the engine in the Haflinger even had a Dynastarter. The Haflinger will not have had much of the heating system, which was also improved
compared to the original Fiat. The Haflinger was of course not cheap. It was only slightly cheaper than e.g. a Toyota Land Cruiser.
The third in the group is the company Austro-Daimler, founded in 1899 as a subsidiary of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in Stuttgart. One of the founders was the Fischer iron foundry. It is interesting to note that Gottlieb
Daimler's son Paul worked here as a designer from 1902 and Ferdinand Porsche from 1906. The first four-wheel drive was already developed here the year before. In 1934, the company merged with Steyr, after the
cooperation between Daimler and Puch had already been established in 1928.