Supplements by Jürgen Adler
While the plastic car body is developed already in 1954, its series production begins only in 1958. The plastic car body originates out of the lack of steel. Otherwise, a lot is taken over from the pre-war tradition of the DKW factory into the VEB Sachsenring. First of all, there is the two-cylinder two-stroke engine cooled by a blower with 500 cm ³ and 13 kW (18 HP) at 3750 1 / min and a compression of only 6.7: 1. In 1969 the compression is raised to 7.6:1 and the performance is increased by enlarging the cubic capacity by 100 cm ³ to 19 kW (26 HP) at 4200 rpm. The controlled inlet with the help of a rotary slide in the crankcase is technically noteworthy.
The torque is transferred through an at that time unusual manner via hinge joints to the front wheels. The wheel suspension features double wishbones with half a leaf spring each as an upper arm on every side. A rack-and-pinion steering still modern today with however unusually long tie rods and telescope shock absorber complete the design. Only the variable speed gearbox (full synchronisation) and the engine power are altered during the whole production time. The drum brakes in front remain, indeed, in Duplex array. At least, the axle drive shafts are equipped with constant-velocity joints. 06/08