On 1 January 1952 Colin Chapman and Michael Allen establish the 'Lotus Engineering Company'. The workshop for the (partial) assembly of the Mark VI is located behind the hotel from Chapman's father in Hornsey (North London). A lot of enthusiastic, but unpaid helpers should have been involved. Chapman keeps his job at British Aluminium. The bodies are now made by Williams and Prichard, a small but fine company which is soon integrated into the Lotus Engineering.
A few houses further the company 'Progress Chassis Co.' resides, manufacturing the framework for the new car. Even the Austin engine, one finally be rid of. It is again driven with Ford engines. But since the car is sold as a kit for tax reasons, in principle each customer can install the (tuned) engine of his choice. And there are plenty of customers. Nevertheless a total of 110 pieces are sold of the Mark VI. In this case the boss can choose the fastest version for his participation in racing. 04/12