The forerunner, in 1835, was the iron foundry and machine factory, Georg Egestorff, the Hannoversche Maschinenbau AG was then founded and went into the building of motor cars in 1925. In 1924, they took on the two
engineers, Carl Pollich and Fidelis Böhler, as well as their two test-cars, these were then sold as the Hanomag 2/10 hp. Because of its shape, it was nicknamed the 'Komissbrot' (loaf of army-bread).
This was a light, two-seater convertible with a water-cooled single-cylinder engine, which was mounted upright in the rear, only the right rear wheel of the rigid axle was driven by a chain. The car had independently
mounted front wheels, only one headlamp in the middle and because very early it had a pontoon-body, it was ahead of it's time as far as a number of other vehicles were concerned.
A maximum of 80 vehicles were produced per day on a production line. However, because this vehicle very soon developed into a conventional car, Böhler quickly left the company, indeed, Polloch remained loyal until
1963. He rose to the position of chief-constructor of the Hanomag company. He was also responsible for the 3/16 from 1929 onwards, which again, had the appearance of a motor car and only the rear reminded one a
little of the 2/10.
|From 1931 as a four-seater 3/16 (a total of 15.000 vehicles)|
The automobile construction continued to develop in this direction, away from the small- to the mid-size car. From about 1930 onwards, Hanomags no longer attracted attention on the roads. Alone the technology was
advanced, e.g., because of the coachwork without a wooden frame from the Ambi-Budd company. The series continued right up to the Hanomag Sturm (storm) with six-cylinders. Indeed, from 1932 until the end of 1934,
the automobile section was partially outsourced through leasing arrangements.
In 1938 a completely new, much more streamlined car body (see pictures 3 and 4) for the, until then very conventional Hanomag Rekord was brought onto the market. In 1936, at the same time as Mercedes, the
company also finally introduced the Diesel motor car engine which was ready to go into the production series. Unfortunately, the second world war put a spanner in the works for the Hanoverians.
After the war, despite the fact that the factory was destroyed, the manufacturing equipment was still there, unfortunately however, the Ambi Budd company could no longer be used. It had been assigned to the eastern
part of Germany and was thus lost to west German companies. They designed a further coupé with a three-cylinder two-stroke engine, it had seating for three up front and jump seats at the rear, however, despite the
respectable luggage compartment, they gave up and closed down the motor car production.
Much more successful was the manufacturing of tractors, light trucks and building site machinery, the latter of which are still today marketed under the name Komatsu-Hanomag. Tractors and traction machines have
been produced by Hanomag since 1924. In the pictures above you can see one of the stronger vehicles and the smallest one, with a two-stroke, single-cylinder engine. Particularly two-stroke Diesels fit in to the Diesel
process extremely well, however, they weren't able to prove themselves in the field.
The type L 28, capable of 1,5 to 2 tons of payload, sold very well. Picture 9 shows an all-wheel drive version capable of handling up to 2,5 tons. The successors were the Kurier and the Markant, which could take on as
much as 3 tons of payload. The utility section was that interesting, that after the take-over of Hanomag by Rheinstahl in 1958 and the adding of Henschel in 1970, the whole show was taken over and continued by
|The Tempo Matador, originally with a VW-engine and front-wheel drive.|
From 1955 onwards, there was a cooperation with the Tempo-Works in Hamburg, which after ten years led to the final take-over. The Tempo Matador (picture 10) with a front-wheel drive, was taken into the union and
continued to be marketed by Daimler. 04/14
Top of page
2001-2014 Copyright programs, texts, animations, pictures: H. Huppertz - Email
Translator: Don Leslie -