In 1954 the first fuel injection pump for four-stroke petrol engines was produced in series. It was derived from the Diesel-injection pump and provided the Mercedes 300 SL with direct fuel injection. A whole series of mechanical-hydraulic pumps followed. The development went from a pump with an interrupter-cam - a type of mechanical injection map - and ended up with the continuous injection.
In 1967 it was confronted with competition in the form of the electronic petrol injection. The exhaust gas decontamination finally brought the development of the mechanical-hydraulic systems to an end. 09/09